Saturday 9 February 2008

Photos: Taj Mahal and Akbar's Mausoleum (13th Jan)

I got a photo DVD burnt, so finally I have some pictures to show from my travels!

In a month's journeying through India I've taken almost a thousand photos, and presenting them to you is sure to be a mammoth task - especially as I'm taking more all the time as I travel. Rather than bore you with one ginormous photo gallery I'll split the pictures up and show you the different places I've been.

First up is my visit to one of India's most famous landmarks: the Taj Mahal. I had only been in India for two days when I went there and this was my first 'day trip'. I had a car with a driver and everything, cos I'm posh like that. The Taj Mahal is in the city of Agra, four hours south of Delhi, down a dusty highway lined with shanty towns.

Before reaching the Taj I visited Akbar's Mausoleum - the nearby resting place of a 16th Century Indian ruler:


That was impressive to see, but the Taj was an even greater experience. To wander through the massive courtyards and gardens, and then walk up close to the iconic white palace (built in the 16th Century by a lovesick king in tribute to his deceased wife) was simply awesome. It was a beautiful hot afternoon and the air smelt wonderfully crisp and fresh.


Afterwards we just had time to take a quick photo with me in it (spot the Taj Mahal in the distance, and notice my lack of a beard!), then my driver Deepak and I headed off up the highway back to Delhi.


Compared to other things I've done in India it was an expensive trip, but it was definitely worth it - the Taj Mahal is truly spectacular.

1 comment:

  1. Hiya, saw both of these last night on a gardening programme, and thought of you. We looked, but couldn't spot you in the crowds!

    ReplyDelete